Thursday, November 7

Underline Character meme

Write out the names of your characters and explain:

  1. what made you create the character in the first place
  2. how you thought of the character's name
  3. how the character has changed over time (if they have changed) 
  4. any random fun fact about that character


Jan Keirnan
  1. Jan was originally a character created randomly and then used for a man-self meme, meaning he was somehow eventually molded to be my genderbend counterpart. He was basically me, with my haircut (when it's short), and with a slightly more outgoing/open attitude.
  2. I liked short names when I was around 13. Though I don't remember exactly how I came up with his name, I'm pretty sure the Jan part is related to how my birthday is in January. I came up with his Chinese name years later, along with his backstory, but his Chinese name is simply picking out characters that had a nice meaning and would vaguely sound like Jan Keirnan.
  3. Jan changed a lot. He is no longer heavily based off of me in terms of personality. His haircut continues to change subtly, too. As for how he's changed...I'd rather you find out when I make Underline a reality.
  4. He's an immigrant...and has a secret that torments him and makes him really paranoid.


Kira Hanaki
  1. I was planning a high school murder mystery story or sorts. Nothing exciting.
  2. Well, I needed a punny name, and since I was into Ace Attorney and Death Note, I wanted a ridiculous name. It's a bit silly...her name. But I don't want to directly spoil anything, so I'll leave it at that.
  3. I changed her last name to give her a cultural background. I also cut her hair and gave her a tan to make her look less like Yukiko from Persona 4. Though I created Kira before P4, I figured making her look less typical will do her well. So she changed from sort-of-standard Asian girl to a Hawaiian girl with Japanese heritage. She used to also be the daughter of some mobsters or something, but that's way too ridiculous to fit the current Underline.
  4. Fun fact...She doesn't like Jan? Haha. Not sure what to say that isn't a spoiler.

Dim Calloway
  1. Dim and Jan were initially created for a stupid mystery story, a mystery story prior to Underline. I can't quite remember what it was, but it involved Dim's siblings and something silly like disappearing homework or something. The two team up to be a ridiculous detective story, finding little children to be the masterminds of the evil plot!!!
  2. Similar to Jan's name, I really liked one syllable names as a kid, and Dim sounded cool! As well as unfortunate and hilarious.
  3. Dim used to be straight-up "Dim". But to make him a little more realistic, I lengthened his name to Dimitri, and his naturally purple hair became naturally blond. He tried to dye his hair black, but it didn't quite work out so his hair is purple.
  4. He has a younger sister and a younger brother. His sister was named Candy, I think??, and his brother, for sure, was named Rod.

Cecil Wadsworth
  1. Created for Underline. Kira needed a friend and the cast needed a happy person to willingly deal out information.
  2. I wanted a boyish name that sounded cool. She's somewhat named after Cecile from Tales of the Abyss, but I removed the last 'e'. Her original last name was "Wordsworth", influenced by Ace Attorney character naming to represent her chattiness, but I, again, changed my ridiculous naming to be less obvious and more serious.
  3. Other than her last name, she's about the same. Maybe a little less teary.
  4. She has a boyfriend...?

Benjie Macaulay
  1. Created for Underline. I needed someone intimidating.
  2. I took my mom's co-worker's name. And the last name is something Filipino.
  3. He was originally stupid and violent, and I've toned him down to be a little less stereotypical, while still serving my purpose. Though to be honest, out of all the Underline characters, he is the least developed...
  4. He likes someone.

Borden Earnest
  1. Created for Underline! I needed a psychopath. I also didn't draw many characters with curly hair at the time, so I wanted a curly hair character.
  2. Again, punny names with influence from Ace Attorney. Say his name out loud and that's basically his personality.
  3. He's gotten...shorter based on his original design. He also dresses sharply.
  4. He's got a bunch of secret things, a lot of these secrets are super pointless and others are super intense, and I can't say anything else because I don't want to spill spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment